Wednesday, March 10, 2010

ISO, Shutter speed, and Aperture experiements

With each pic, I'll post the details (or whatever they are called)

Focal Length - 40.0 mm
Exposure time - 0.017s (1/60)
Aperture - f/4.5
ISO - 1600

I can totally see how ISO makes the pictures more grainy. Here's I pic I had with a lower ISO in the same room:
Focal Length - 37.5mm
Exposure time - 0.100s (1/10)
Aperture - f/4.5
ISO - 800

This picture looks too bright to me. Maybe a faster shutter speed? Less aperture? Am I understanding this correctly?

Here's a couple others:
Focal length - 40.0mm
Exposure time - 0.033 (1/30)
Aperture - f/5.6
ISO - 1600

Focal length - 32.5mm
Exposure time - 0.033s (1/30)
Aperture - f/5.6
ISO - 1600

Ok, what do you think? And Emmi, I know you are reading this. For the love of Pete, comment and give me help!!!!!!!! You need to come home soon! Perhaps this weekend we can head to the conservatory, maybe? Maybe I can just call you instead of addressing you via blog? Maybe it's too late and I should set down the computer and go to bed?

1 comment:

  1. Ok So I have to study for 2 exams tomorrow but I'll just tell you this much:

    For the picture you think is too bright you would want to use a faster shutter speed. Aperture is pretty much the same thing as the iris of you eye meaning it works to block out too much light, but it also has a lot to do with how you focus. A larger aperture is good for close up photography like you're doing. It focuses the larger object while making further objects look somewhat or very blurred depending on what your preference is. If you want to focus on something far away a smaller aperture will do that. It does the opposite job meaning close objects are blurrier and far ones are clearer. Aperture doesn't affect the focus TOO much, but it can really make that little difference you need to make your picture a higher quality.

    Whew. I need to study for math now.

    ReplyDelete